Power System Consultancy
The Power System Group at KALKITECH has a rich experience in the area of electrical power system design, simulation, consulting and development of basic and advanced simulation tools for electric network analysis. The group also develops and provides real time control, protection and monitoring solutions to power networks, generation systems, frequency control, load management, reactive power control and training simulators.
The Power Systems Group at Kalkitech along with its associate consultants has rich experience in the following areas:
- Basic and detailed electrical engineering
- Power System Simulation and Analysis
- Protection and Control engineering, consulting
- Custom development of basic and advanced simulation tools for electric network analysis
- Training in relevant engineering, consulting areas
- Onsite power quality measurements, harmonic analysis and solutions
- General Engineering software solutions – Mathematical solutions, Graphics applications, Database Applications
- Web based solutions in engineering/energy/power sectors
The following standard studies/Services are offered by the Power System Group:
- Power Flow Studies
- Short Circuit Studies
- Transient Stability Analysis
- Motor Starting Studies
- Dynamic Stability Analysis
- Protection System Studies
- Harmonic Measurements, Filter Design and Analysis
- Long Term Energy Demand Forecast
- EMTP and Line Constants
- Contingency Studies
- Reactive Power Optimization
- Optimal Power Flow
- Power System Stabilizer Applications
- Equipment Protection Applications
- Switching Transient Studies
- Insulation Coordination
- Evaluation of Energy Transactions in De-Regulated market
- Ground Mat Design
- Reliability Evaluation
- Grid Paralleling Studies of Captive Power Plants
- Voltage Flicker Analysis of the Rolling Mill Industries
- Switch Yard/Substation Design
- Power Plant Auxiliary System Design
- Generator Protection
- Transformer Protection
- Power Quality
- Power System Stability
- Voltage Stability
Power System consultants at Kalkitech are involved in a wide range of tasks across various projects including planning, detailed engineering & purchase specification, procurement assistance, project/site management, on-site engineering services, commissioning supervision, failure analysis, safety engineering as well as Transmission/Distribution/Industrial network planning studies. Some of these services are listed below:
Electrical / Instrumentation Engineering Design:
- Conceptual System Studies and Detailed Engineering
- Switchyards & HT/LT Substations
- Switchgear, MCC Panel, Distribution boards design
- Main & Auxiliary Power Distribution, switchgear and lighting.
- Electrical Schemes & Single Line Diagrams
- Electrical power, transmission and distribution lines.
- Substations, Motor control centers.
- Uninterruptible power systems (UPS)
- Industrial Process Control Lighting and illumination system
- Earthing and lightning protection systems
- Fire alarm system
- Power and control cable design and layout
- Sizing & Selection of Electrical Equipment/Cables, Protection Schemes, Relay Coordination
- Field installation drawings
- Communication system
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Preparation of specifications and schedule of quantities
- Short Circuit Specifications
- Power System Studies
- Insulation Coordination
- System engineering
- Engineering and procurement specifications
- System programming and configuration
- Logic development
- Control panel
- Configuration of displays
- History data base, logging and management formation reports
- HMI and SCADA workstations configuration, programming and integration
The power system group and its associates, has a rich combined experience of over 200 man-years in electrical design power system studies/ power system simulation software development. Consequently the group is in a position to offer solution to varied type of problems in engineering, simulation, planning, and training.
Power System Group has also successfully conducted a few corporate training in its domain area of electrical engineering, software development, power system analysis, for national or international clients. These training are generally offered as part of corporate training based on specific requirements of the clients.
Power System Training Courses include:
- Power System Protection
- Advanced Power System Protection
- Protection Coordination
- Power System Operation and Control
- O & M Transformers and Circuit Breakers
- Power Transformers
- O & M of Transmission Lines and Substations
- Power System Studies
- Dispatcher Training Simulator
- Distribution Systems
- HVDC & FACTS
- Renewable Energy
The Power System Group at Kalkitech has over the years developed vast experience in developing customized softwares required for power systems analysis and efficiency. These modules include our flagship Power System analysis software (PowerApps), Customized Energy Management System Tools & Source Code Libraries.
Power System Analysis Software
- Detailed analytical skill and a host of generalized mathematical functions
- Graphical user interfaces, Graphical packages for single line diagram, plotting, generic graphics
- Database applications
- Web based applications
- Development of modular library of functions suitable for re-distribution
- Generic User Interface with context help, suitable for data needed for several standard power system analysis software
- Input data in the format of ASCII, Excel, Access databases.
- OLE support
- Object oriented programming approach with Power Foundation Classes (PFC) to build analytical algorithms. The concept is similar to using MFC for MS windows programming in VC++.
- Standard library facilities for all common electrical elements.
- Validated algorithms (documents) with standard bench mark examples.
- Multiple study cases of load flow/short circuit/stability/protection/and other analytical procedures cases for all the network islands in one single execution
- A single master database for all the study cases and outputs for easier maintenance of project database.
- Automatic one line diagram creation and presentation of results for all the study cases.
Real Time Software Applications – Energy Management System Tools
Apart from power system analysis, Kalkitech’s power system group has expertise in GIS, Energy Audit, and EMS Projects where our software and engineering skills have been put to use. The following are the functional modules that are readily available and can be directly integrated to a SCADA/EMS system:
- Network Topology Processor
- Observability analysis
- Static State Estimation
- Contingency Ranking.
- Contingency Evaluation.
- Short Term Load Forecast
- Optimal power flow/Reactive power optimization suitable for real time control.
- Static Voltage Stability Evaluation.
- Automatic Generation Control AGC.
- Dispatcher’s Training Simulators - Offline Tool.
- Operator Training Simulators (Power Plants) - Offline Tool.
- ATC/TTC [Available Transfer Capability/Total Transfer Capability] calculations
- Intelligent Load Shedding and Frequency Control Solutions
To know more about Kalkitech Power System Analysis, please visit Power System Analysis
Source Code Services
Source Code Services on non-proprietary algorithms and functions are available on mutually agreeable terms, with special consideration to academic and research institutes.
Kalkitech’s Power Systems Group has vast experience in understanding and performing the various requirements of a power system. A snapshot of some of the key projects completed by Kalkitech is given for your reference.
- Power System Studies for Steel Plant in a Middle East Country
Power system Studies including Load Flow Analysis, Short Circuit Analysis, Motor Starting Studies, Harmonic Analysis, Protection studies and Relay Setting Studies.The system had an Electric Arc Furnace, A Ladle furnace, An SVC, 6.6 Plant, Several 415 volts switch boards supplying LT loads.
- Transient Stability Simulation Package for a public T&D utility
The transmission network is a three phase balanced network system which is interconnected with another SAARC nation grid.The project required a transient stability analysis module in three phase systems for evaluation of electro-mechanical transient response of the system. The client wanted the transient stability analysis module to fetch the data from EMS/SCADA and perform analysis at specified interval of time and also to add specific types of events to the transient stability simulation that can cause transients [or disturbances or events] in the network
- Power Plant related Studies for a multinational consulting & engineering company
The project included reinforcement of an existing Power Plant with Two additional Gas Turbine Generators with 132 kV grid interconnection and Plant Auxiliaries represented completely. The scope included load flow studies, short circuit studies as well as protection & coordination.
- Power Evacuation Scheme for a multi national manufacturing company
The client plant had surplus captive power generation for which the client wanted to do Power Evacuation Studies to export power to the external bulk consumers and T&D consumers. The scope of the the work included Site visit, Site survey, Examination of facilities available, Meeting with the T&D system authorities as well as nearby bulk power consumers and performing various short-term/long term power system studies like load flow studies, short circuit studies, Harmonic analysis, stability studies, protection coordination studies, insulation coordination studies as per relevant IEC standards.
- Protection Coordination Study for a Water Treatment plant
Kalkitech’s power systems experts performed protective device co-ordination analysis for HV panels including 2 Nos HV incomer panel, 2 Nos 16 MVA, 33 kV/6.9 kV power transformer, 1 No bus coupler, 8 Nos +1 spare distribution transformers ( including LV side breaker of the transformers ), 5 +1 spare motor feeders etc and provide results and recommendations as required by the specification and client.
- Power Systems Training for a multi national company in Middle East
The Power System Group (PSG) at Kalkitech has successfully provided power systems training to the utility engineers in the middle east country. The experts from PSG prepared the syllabus, tutorial notes, and conducted a 5 day tutorial course at the client place. About 20 engineers from different utilities in the ME area participated in the training program
Please feel free to contact us to know more about any of the above projects or other projects.