Economic Generation Management and Dispatch Solution
Power plants generate power based on a schedule that is determined and communicated by the Load Dispatch Centre. The Load Dispatch Centre (called ISO or Independent System Operators in some countries) is the central agency that co-ordinates generation and distribution.Â It creates a generation schedule, based on the declared capacity of generating units on one hand, and demand requirements from the distribution companies on the other.Â Power plants are required to adhere to this scheduled generation and comply with government regulation meant to enforce grid discipline and accountability. There are penalties for deviating from scheduled generation limits (when generation is greater than demand), while incentives may be provided for additional generation (within acceptable limits), to meet peak demand when necessary.
Kalkitechâ€™sÂ ELTRIX SchedulingÂ solutions,Â Economic GenerationÂ andÂ Generation Management, help generation companies meet scheduled generation requirements, comply with regulation, avoid penalties and maximize revenue through pricing incentives such as Availability Based Tariff related Unscheduled Interchange (UI) charges whenever possible.
ELTRIXâ€™s Economic Generation module can target various objectives such as profit maximization or cost minimization depending on market dynamics, regulatory framework, and the demand-supply gap. It provides off-the-shelf decision models for different market scenarios that can be used for maximization of revenue through UI charges besides Merit Order Rating and Unit Commitment.
Merit Order Rating (MOR) / Merit Order Dispatch (MOD) is used to optimize the cost of generation of power plants with multiple generating units, by ranking the units in order of their cost of production. Given a stationâ€™s varying demand, the MOR module identifies a loading pattern for individual units that will result in the least cost of generation while ensuring that none of the unitâ€™s constraints are violated. The cost curve of generation for each unit is identified from historical data and optimization techniques are applied to identify the loads for each unit that will result in the least generation cost for the specified station demand. The MOR module works closely with the Performance Optimization modules as well as Availability Based Tariff (ABT) modules to provide the most cost-effective solution for a generating station. A Unit Commitment model can be used to plan for the optimal use of generating resources based on forecasts.
Generation management provides a decision support system for plant managers and operators to manage the dayâ€“to-day operations of power generation. In India, scheduled power generation pricing is based on the Availability-Based-Tariff (ABT) mechanism to enforce grid discipline.Â Kalkitechâ€™s ELTRIX suite has an ABT Scheduling module that includes generation of declared capacity and a Tariff modeling module that includes tariff calculations.Â ABT related data (such as Declared Capacity, Schedule Generation, Actual Generation and Frequency) is available as a tabular display / trend / report at plant level.Â Other features include provision to match actual generation with scheduled values, in order to maximize revenue and run the plant efficiently.
ELTRIX Generation Management module eliminates the need for complex manual processing and calculations by plant managers. It provides a number of functions including the following:
- Closely monitors the grid frequency and plant output in terms of energy exported to grid
- Provides asking rate of generation (real-time inputs) to the operators
- Calculates slippages from the scheduled generation
- Computes various tariffs like capacity charges, energy charges and UI charges
- Implements generation schedules
- Impact analysis of UI
- Provides an interface for domain experts to configure regulatory logic
The following are the key benefits of Kalkitech’s economic generation and dispatch solution:
- Better optimization of (or better usage of) energy at the plant level
- Reduction in the carbon foot print by only burning as much fuel as needed
- Integration with Merit Order Dispatch (Economic Generation) helps to keep overall cost of generation for a group of generating units to a minimum, by achieving an optimal allocation amongst the units, while still meeting schedule requirements
- Integration with Performance Monitoring system (PPM) would enable input data (power generated) to be fed into the system (versus manually entered).Â Using these values, the product can calculate what the ideal output should be in order to maximize benefits through UI.
Some of the distinguishing factors of this solution are:
- Kalkitech is a total solutions provider – we offer Plant Performance Monitoring solutions (PPM), Optimization solutions (PADO) as well as ABT based Scheduling solutions.
- Kalkitech is the pioneer and leading player in ABT based Scheduling solutions.
- Kalkitechâ€™s experience and expertise in Performance Monitoring has been gained over 15,000 MW of installed capacity