spTsrv: SCADA Protocol Translator â€“ Terminal Server
Applied Systems Engineering, Inc.â€™s spTsrv product is a multi-channel Terminal Server with support for both bit and byte protocols. As well as DNP, Modbus, and other async protocols, it is one of the few, if not the only, Terminal Server products that support legacy protocols such as Conitel and CDC. With a host interface employing the industry standard TCP/IP Internet Protocol Suite, the spTsrv can be used with user application software on a wide range of operating systems including Windows, Unix/Linux, and derivatives.
The spTsrv comes in three form factors supporting 4, 8 and 16 channels. The base unit is 1U height. The 8 and 16-channel units come in a 19â€ť rack-mount metal enclosure and operate on 110/220 VAC. The 4-channel unit is shelf mount with standard power of 5 or 12 VDC. Other power options are available on all units. The enclosure front contains a power LED, operational LEDs, and a serial maintenance port. System information is available through the maintenance ports or via a network connection. The enclosure back contains RJ-45 connectors for Ethernet and serial RS-232 ports. Each serial port includes transmit and receive data LEDs, and supports TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DCD, ground, and synchronous clock RS-232 signals.
The spTsrv product is available with three application packages.
- SPT For operation as a protocol translator or data concentrator with current support for about 40 protocols. Also supports data transfer between masters.
- TServ For operation as a terminal server interfacing to customer-written master station software. Its biggest advantage in this form is support for older legacy protocols.
- Bridge For operation as a network bridge, the more conventional terminal server usage. Inserting units at master and remote sites convert serial to network communication and back again without any changes at the master or remote sites. A single host utility can configure all devices on the network. RTUâ€™s can be located with communication optimized to their location even when the device is moved to a different channel.
- Protocol Translator to convert between different bit or byte protocols
- Multi-host a remote device using the same or different protocols
- Data concentrator
- System load testing; replicate one device to 100â€™s to introduce a load for testing a new master
- Passive master point check to listen on communication of an existing master/RTU network, extract data, and forward that data as simulated RTUs to a new master
- Replace old serial and leased line communication with networksr
Plus, all have the ability to interact remotely with an ASE2000. ASE2000 version 2, release 16 or later can connect to a spTsrv unit and present communication data at any remote location just as if it were at the spTsrv site.