SYNC 2000 series â€“ Protocol Gateway / Converter
Kalkitech’s SYNC 2000 protocol gateway is one of the most widely used converters supporting a wide range of protocols (including IEC 61850, DNP3.0, IEC 101/103/104 and DLMS/ COSEM). It offers superior substation-grade ruggedness based on the IEC 61850-3 specifications yet versatile to be used in numerous Transmission and Distribution applications. The KEMA certified (for IEC 61850 server) and NERC-CIP compliant DIN rail mountable product has been sold to more than 500 customers worldwide for various substation and automation requirements.
The SYNC 2000 series of products come with real-time embedded Linux operating system, and support a host of protocols including IEC 61850, IEC 60870-5-101/103/104, DLMS/COSEM, Modbus as well as legacy and proprietary protocols such as SPA Bus, and Courier. SYNC 2000 devices are also versatile communication devices, and offer the option of adding an internal GPRS/CDMA modem. They also have the capability to support secure VPN connections over dynamic IP. With options for higher grade enclosures (IP65) SYNC 2000 is perfect for various field IED aggregation requirements whether in Transmission or Distribution substations or in Pad-mount / Pole-top cabinets
SYNC 2000 comes with analog and digital I/O’s with a maximum of 6 serial and 1 Ethernet port, in a rugged package that is tested for IEC61850-3 compliance including strict EMI/EMC and Surge requirements on all ports and power supply. The fiber optic version with 6 serial and 1 fiber optic port also offers expansion IO’s as well as transparent channel support and remote configuration/ diagnosis.
SYNC 2000 is an ideal IEC61850 Gateway, used to connect various downstream devices to SCADA / EMS systems. Being a multi-protocol gateway SYNC 2000 can integrate IEDs of various pr0tocols and transmit over IEC 61850 (or any other protocol), thus a future-proof option and savings on long term upgradability costs.
Comparison between different protocol upgrade options
|Embedded Board Implementation||External Protocol Gateway|
|Prerequisites & Constraints||No prerequisite on the technical front.
Mechanical Constraint – embedded board has to fit into the device enclosure
Device connectivity constraint depends on number of data-points, multi-dropping, protocols as well as the Gateway variant
|The downstream device should have a protocol that is supported by the Gateway device.
No change in hardware component or mechanical design.
Device connectivity constraint depends on number of datapoints, multi-dropping, protocols as well as the Gateway variant
|Solution space||Meant for upgrading the target device to support multiple protocols with minimal effort||Meant for applications where the downstream device cannot be modified / tampered â€“ and communication on different protocols|
|Upgradability||Easy addition of new protocols and updating of existing protocols possible, without any hardware change and implementation effort from customer end||The implementation process repeated for each protocol update and enhancement. The Gateway firmware can be remotely updated to include more protocols / updates, etc.|
|Scale of implementation||Meant for a medium scale implementation||Meant for small scale implementation|
|Integration time||Complete implementation and integration to target IED takes around 3-4weeks||Can be installed in less than 6 hours|
|Kalkitech Solution||SYNC 200: IED upgrade module||SYNC 2000: Protocol gateway|
- Supports more than 40 protocols including IEC 60870-5-101/103/104, IEC 61850, DNP3.0, Modbus RTU/ TCP, and DLMS COSEM
- Automatic startup and initialization following power restoration
- Multi master communication capability (many-to-many protocol conversion)
- Support for up to 3000 data points
- Storage for up to 50000 events
- File upload/ download support
- Remote configuration
- Time synchronization using IEC60870/DNP3/SNTP
- Transparent/tunneling support for remote configuration and disturbance data collection
- Device management using SNMP/ webserver
- Network tunneling support
- IEC 61850-3 compliant hardware
- KEMA certified IEC 61850 server
- High MTBF suitable for utility requirements
- NERC-CIP compliant security
- IEC62351 support
- SSL VPN with AES, DES or 3DES encryption
- Variants with up to 12 serial ports and 2 Ethernet ports available
- Internal and external pluggable cellular modem (GPRS/EDGE/CDMA/UMTS)
- External pluggable RF/PSTN modem
- Fiber optic Ethernet option
- In-built and plug-in I/O support
- Option for expanding communication port
- Wide range of AC and DC power supply
- Adaptable for customization of existing protocols as well as adding new protocols